Saturday, July 02, 2005

Hyde Park, Live 8

20 years ago, I was 5 months old and living in a tiny village in Cornwall, a million miles away from poverty and Live Aid. Now I am 20 years and 5 months old and watching a very amusing Jonathan Ross present Live 8, whilst drinking Fair Trade tea. And I am so very aware of the situation in Africa but not really aware of a solution – change will eventually have to come from within Africa, like it should have done from within Iraq, and everywhere else we have interfered with. That’s not to say I disagree with people getting involved, I’ve read lots of bad reviews about how Live 8 won’t change a thing, about how the stars’ collective wardrobe must be worth a big chunk of the money that Africa needs, but to be honest I don’t see how it can be a bad thing. People are watching it and showing that they want the G8 leaders to do something – it’s important to let people know clearly what is wanted because you most probably can’t rely on them to work it out for themselves. Plus, finally, this isn’t like Iraq and there is pretty much absolutely unanimous support for making poverty history even if people disagree over the best way to do it. You can’t argue with it really, I think it would be fairly ignorant to dismiss today’s events as insignificant – they are providing a platform for people to make a stand and it just might make a difference. I think, at this point, with the horrific statistics coming out of Africa, there’s not much left to lose.

Anyway, it looks like a good concert! Lots of bands I wouldn’t mind seeing are there, but I didn’t get a reply to my text! And you can’t get fairer than that I suppose - it was a Willy Wonka kind of distribution and presumably some people sent more texts than they should have - but I can’t think of a fairer way to do it without spending a lot more money. Though it is a little irritating the number of celebrities hanging out at Hyde Park today to look cool/take advantage of their 'status' to get a free entry. Paris Hilton, for example.

What you really want, of course, from a day like this, is to see Michael Stipe dancing about the stage in all seriousness with a blue face:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home