Sunday, July 24, 2005

Defying the lazy stereotypes

I feel myself longing for a few days completely away from news coverage - it seems that since July 7th the news has all been bad. I'm so grateful that I live in a relatively peaceful country, I can switch off for a few days if I need to, drive away to a small coastal town with my boyfriend and a tent and have some quiet. I hope Bill makes it to see me soon so we can do something like that. Just that potential is a comforting thought though.

My married friends have found a flat in Battersea. So my knowledge of the South will hopefully be soon a little more extensive! Both Charlie and I are longing for some essays to do and to get back into university life in general. I never thought I would say it but I am getting sick of the holidays now. A 20 week academic year is just a little ridiculous if you ask me. I would much rather have full time education actually mean full time education, and finish my degree in two years rather than three. I seriously think that would be a very economical option for students to take in the future, especially with the impending introduction of ridiculous top up fees. Intensive degree courses should be introduced ASAP, and when they are they should be attributed to my good self.

Am currently watching the film version of The House of Mirth. Always nice to see just how much film adaptations sometimes stray from the novel. It's not so bad, but on the other hand - an entire character seems to have vanished from the film. Where is Selden's cousin? Selden's cousin who seems to be the vehicle for all of Wharton's lesbian tendencies? The same cousin who seems to love both her own cousin, and Lily. And, how disconcerting is it to watch a film with Scully, but no Mulder?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home