Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Admin continues to SUCK

Somewhere in my mind there is a connection between going off in a bus to work in the outskirts of the city, with something to do with C20th American history. Did they sometime send people off to the suburbs in a bus to work? I don't know (but I must find out before I try and study the literature next semester.) Either way, I was awake at 7.10 this morning to go and do just that.

My day can be categorised into four parts:
1. Putting files away in a hot little hut, X Central
2. Getting requested files out
3. Putting pieces of paper (records of telephone calls, etc) into files
4. Changing the ownership of files on a database according to where I've just put it

That is it. £5.96 per hour is mine for carrying out those 4 things. But it still sucks, because those 4 things don't require any concentration whatsoever. I know the alphabet, and I know where the numbers are on a keyboard. I don't have to think at all, all day, and it's so boring. Luckily for me, I'm a part timer this week and don't have to go in again until Friday. Next week is a different story: I am going to be full time, which is a horrid thought. I am resolved to stick it out until at least the end of next week though. Then I am allowing myself to quit if need be. We shall see - my one day of training at WHSmiths, my one week at private school, and my complete abandonment of A level studies for a year, don't exactly bode well for my staying power.

The Flat Hunt is now officially on, because findaproperty.com actually lists a few that are available starting September and also because I am Highly Organised. This time next month I can guarantee that I will have a comprehensive knowledge of all one & two bedroom flats near Belsize Park, Chalk Farm, Tufnell Park, Archway, and Highgate, that fall in the £165-220 a week price range. I will probably have sent my poor boyfriend to go and visit 90% of them as well. Still, despite my organisation, I don't really have much of a clue what to look for or what to avoid. I know that I love Hampstead and the Heath, and that my current flat in Chalk Farm would be wonderfully perfect if it didn't involve living with people I don't feel comfortable with - but I also know that I am used to an expensive area at a reduced price. I am prepared to go in the other direction (Archway etc.) but I don't think I'm willing to compromise my love of all things North London. I am a sucker for Victorian terraces because I grew up in one, and I love fireplaces and high ceilings. But I am also a lowly student and have tastes that far exceed my budget - a point absolutely clarified by my NEED for an Orla Kiely bag like this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home